MPF24 Small Batch Twin Screw Extruder
Baker Perkins’ MPF24 Twin Screw Extruder is a small batch extruder for development work and low output production runs. Ideal for experimental and laboratory use, it is used to try out new ideas, assess ingredients, provide test marketing samples, and even make small production batches of product with high-value ingredients.
The clam-shell barrel can be opened at any time to assess the state of processing, allowing screw section profiles to be optimized. The machine is mobile, available with a full selection of cutters and dies, and features sophisticated controls that include date capture, trending, and recipe function.
Products that can be produced range from standard direct expanded curls, rings and puffs to complex multi-component premium products. Ingredients are texturized and cooked through a combination of heat, mechanical shear and moisture addition. Flavours and colours can be added easily.
Full, reliable scale-up to outputs from Baker Perkins’ range of production scale food extruders is possible with comparable screw geometry.
Dry Powder Feed System
A gravimetric dry powder feeder system is used to accurately meter the dry powder pre-mix into the infeed port of the cooker extruder.
The feeder comprises:
- A feed hopper to store ingredients prior to feeder itself
- A loss-in-weight screw feeder, with continuous speed adjustment
- All contact parts are in stainless steel
Liquid Feed System
A liquid feed system is used to pump process liquid from holding tanks into the extruder barrel.
The system comprises:
- Two reservoir tanks for the storage of process liquids (water, oil). Each has a lid, and the water tank has a float valve
- Two peristaltic pumps
- 5.5kW @ 600rpm variable speed servo drive
- One piece horizontally split clamshell barrel
- One piece barrel liner manufactured from through hardened steel
- Barrel water-cooled via cored one-piece barrel liner backing block
- Barrel electrically heated via cartridge type heaters
- Extruder barrel electroless nickel plated for corrosion resistance
- Co-rotating, self-wiping fully segmented agitator assemblies
- Die assembly with single hole insert die
- Two-tank liquid feed system with inverter driven peristaltic pumps
- Product cutter with inverter driven rigid blade knife
- Free standing barrel cooling unit
- PLC control panel with touch screen interface
- Nominal barrel length 25:1 L/D
- 24mm liner bore diameter
- Maximum operating temperature: 170°C
- Maximum operating pressure: 2000 psi
- Liner Material: Through Hardened Steel (nitrided D2)
- Barrel Opening Method: Manual
- Barrel Cooling: Cored Barrel Backing Block
- Discharge Arrangement: Single hole insert die
- Product Cutting Arrangement: Machine mounted product cutter complete with cutter cage, variable speed drive motor and rigid blade knife
- Agitator Speed Range: 0 - 600 rpm
eSheet: MPF24 Small Batch Twin Screw Extruder
Brochure: Food Extrusion
A modular range providing the flexibility to quickly and easily create snack products that match the latest trends in consumer preference.
Baker Perkins offers complete systems for the production of snacks through extrusion and other forming methods.
Parts, service, upgrades and rebuilds for your Baker Perkins machines for as long as they remain in production.