As a department we’re responsible for all aspects of Health, Safety and the Environment (HSE) at Baker Perkins.
In short we plan, implement, monitor and optimise HSE management systems to ensure that the business complies with all statutory obligations and requirements across all sites and on customer sites.
Depending on the role we are recruiting for, we would typically look for the following qualifications and experience:
- NEBOSH certificate
- HSE Management System maintenance
- COSHH Assessor
- Manual Handling Assessor
- Display Screen Equipment Assessor
- Accident/Incident investigation including Root Cause Analysis
- Risk Assessment training/on the job experience
- DSEAR/ATEX familiarisation
- Permit to Work knowledge/experience
- Working at Height
- Lock Off/Tag Off systems
Alongside these, we always look for certain key attributes in candidates. These include someone with a good attitude, who is open minded and will be their authentic self. They’ll be respectful, have good listening skills and be calm yet decisive in an emergency.
Organised and professional, diplomacy skills are a must and candidates would be as comfortable working as part of a team as on their own, have strong interpersonal skills and be able to motivate and influence all stakeholders.
Being IT literate is also a strong advantage.
Health, Safety & Environmental Manager
David started his working life as a Charge Nurse, looking after a busy Accident & Emergency Ward for 2 years. After undertaking more training, he practiced as an Offshore Medic/Safety on an installation 135 miles North East of Aberdeen for 13 years working a 3 weeks on/3 weeks off rota.
A busy, varied role that involved diagnosing medical conditions, issuing prescription medication and dealing with all medical emergencies, he also became actively involved in safety during this time.
He began to look at the reasons why the injuries occurred in the first place and became interested in ways in which to reduce the risk of future injuries/illnesses and hasn’t looked back since.
With a career spanning over 25 years in the Oil and Gas Industry, several of them as a Senior HSSE Manager, he joined Baker Perkins in September 2022.
Days are varied, always with a degree of unpredictability, and can typically include the following:
- Attendance at Health & Safety (H&S) meetings, accident incident guidance and support and collating and reporting monthly HSE statistics
- Interaction with all levels of the organisation, provide health, safety and environmental advice
- Working with/training employees to manage, monitor and improve H&S standards in the workplace
- Health promotion
It’s also our responsibility to:
- Create, review and manage HSE policies and procedures
- Monitor H&S risks and hazards in the workplace
- Audit compliance with company HSE policies, Safe Systems Of Work, legislation and guidance
- Carry out workplace audits and inspections
- Undertake Safe System Of Work reviews
- Review Risk Assessments
- Carry out Occupational Health Risk Assessments – Noise, Hand Arm Vibration, Manual Handling
We work with all departments, notably Operations and HR, and all levels of the organisation from the Senior Management team to everyone within the Factory teams.