Manufacturing Apprentices - Machining
Position this role reports to: Assistant Production Manager
To undertake a comprehensive and carefully tailored training programme to become a fully qualified member of our Manufacturing team – Machinist.
Academic qualifications: preferably a minimum of 4 GCSEs (or equivalent) including English, Maths and Science/Technology, at grade C/4 or above, although this is not essential.
The Job (Main Duties):
Our Manufacturing Apprentices follow a four year course of practical training and further education, leading to qualified engineer status.
For the majority of the apprenticeship, successful candidates will work alongside experienced engineers in a small friendly team environment gaining a variety of interesting work experience and then will have day(s) release to our training provider to gain a Level 3 Apprenticeship – Engineering Technician - Machining
The apprentice will work towards being fully skilled in the following:
- Manufacture, to our drawings, parts that are supplied to our Assembly Shop or direct to customers.
- Operate manual and CNC machines
- Self-inspect parts produced
- Able to interpret drawings and specifications
- Producing high quality work with an attention to detail
- Able to work well within a team environment and to offer improvement ideas
Salary is reviewed regularly, reflecting individual progress against the objectives of each phase of training.
Candidate Profile (Experience, Skills and Knowledge):
- A genuine interest in practical engineering, and able to demonstrate this through project work or hobbies.
- Self-motivation and a determination to succeed.
- Good communication skills.
- The ability to contribute to the work of a team.
Apprentices who have been made redundant or are part way through an apprenticeship are welcome, as are candidates with other relevant work experience or qualifications.
Travel Activity: None expected.
Anyone interested in applying should send in their CV and a covering letter explaining why they are interested in this apprenticeship and what engineering experience (including hobbies) they have, to:
Baker Perkins Limited,
email [email protected]
Please provide full contact details – postal address as well as email and telephone.
Baker Perkins is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
What is a Baker Perkins Technical Apprenticeship?
We offer successful applicants a comprehensive and carefully tailored training programme to become a qualified engineer. Throughout your four year apprenticeship you will follow a highly practical training programme leading to NVQ level 3 standard and essential further education qualifications.
- It is a real job with a real employer.
- The training programme will last approx. four years.
- You work within our design office alongside experienced design engineers in either our mechanical or electrical design department.
- It enables you to gain workplace and business experience and a recognised qualification.
For the first year you will be at college full time, with day release thereafter.
Technical apprentices, at the end of their apprenticeship, are likely to be offered a role as a design engineer.
What do we look for?
Our selection criteria are a combination of a genuine interest in engineering, self-motivation and a determination to succeed. Other important qualities are good communication skills and the ability to contribute to the work of a team. In terms of academic qualifications, we expect a minimum of 4 GCSEs (or equivalent) including English, Maths and Science, at grade C or above.
We are not just looking for school leavers. We are also interested in applicants who are already in the first year of an apprenticeship, or have other relevant work experience or qualifications.
How to apply:
We usually open our application process in March. There are several stages to our process and you have to pass each stage to move to the next:
- Application form, CV and covering letter
- First stage of selection – Written tests to assess your natural aptitude and ability to succeed in engineering
- Second stage of selection – Practical tests
- Final stage of selection – Interviews
Keep an eye on this webpage for when the application process opens for 2022.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us:
Tel: 01733 283112
email: [email protected]
Many of the world's leading brands rely on technology supplied by Baker Perkins. Read our story, from the 19th century to today.
Peterborough is the city at the heart of rural East England, bridging the Cambridgeshire, Rutland, Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire borders.http://www.visitpeterborough.com/