Senior Food Development Technologist - Extrusion
Job Title: Senior Food Development Technologist - Extrusion
Position this role reports to: Process Suppport Team Manager
Job Grade: 13 (indicative)
To work both independently and as part of a team to provide a wide range of process, technical and commercial support to Baker Perkins Food Extrusion Product Sector. The role includes conducting customer trials, demonstrations, product and process development within the Innovation Centre, through to customer site commissioning.
A bachelor’s degree or higher in either Food Science/Technology, Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry or other relevant qualification.
- Responsible for providing hands on operation of pilot extruders producing prototypes in support of new technologies including Plant Protein based products. Utilise new ingredients and new technologies.
- Construct, plan and execute experiments and trials utilising Baker Perkins extruders for both customers and Baker Perkins R&D.
- Write test reports after each trial stating objectives, trial data and conclusions. Make recommendations, including any further work required or technical changes that need to be considered.
- Record all trial data and maintain accurate and accessible data.
- Convert and scale up trial results into full process specifications to enable Baker Perkins to quote commercial systems to customers.
- Participate in and lead Research and Development projects with a responsibility for identifying new products and processes.
- Identify and develop strategic partnerships with ingredient suppliers and other vendors.
- Develop a close working relationship with other Baker Perkins employees and teams, cross review projects, share information, develop equipment range and identify future development projects.
- Become a resident expert for extrusion, with a focus on plant protein extrusion. Knowledge to be gained both empirically and scientifically.
- Perform other tasks including troubleshooting customers processes, supporting Customer Services enquiries, attend conferences and tradeshows and where necessary make technical presentations on behalf of Baker Perkins.
- Understand and follow all Baker Perkins health and safety policies and procedures ensuring a safe and professional working environment.
- Provide general laboratory support, including equipment maintenance and identifying and justifying new equipment needs.
- Be aware of and demonstrate the company values and behaviours.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in food manufacturing or ingredient supply required.
- Experience in Food Extrusion technology preferred.
- Experience with Plant Protein technology and end products is desirable.
- Strong mechanical aptitude required – hands on role.
- Hands on pilot plant experience is preferred.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritise.
- Ability to respond and adapt to schedule changes.
Up to 20%
If you are interested in the above position, please apply in writing with CV and covering letter to the HR Department, Baker Perkins Ltd, Manor Drive, Paston Parkway, Peterborough, PE4 7AP (email [email protected]) no later than Friday 28 January 2022.
Internal applicants: Please inform your line manager of your application.
Baker Perkins is an Equal Opportunities Employer